Millet is a super healthy whole grain cereal and can be used instead of brown rice as a first cereal. With recent concerns about arsenic levels in white and brown rice, even organic, millet is a terrific choice as a Super Porridge base. Millet is not likely to cause an allergy and is easily digested. Millet has many wonderful nutritive properties including Vitamin B, potassium, iron, protein, and other vitamins and minerals. Super Porridge millet alone is a terrific meal.
Below, I describe the preparation of millet Super Porridge and the preparation of steamed, puréed kale. To blow things right out of the nutritional waters, I suggest sprinkling this meal with nutritional yeast! This does not sound tasty to us, and indeed it is not, but a baby’s palate is perfect for this fantastic nutritious combination.
To Prepare Super Porridge with Millet:
- Place a cup of water on the stove to boil
- While it is heating put 3 tablespoons of millet in the blender and grind to a fine powder, approximately 2 minutes.
- Whisk the millet powder into the water and let it sit over low heat for 10 minutes. Whisk frequently to prevent lumps.
To Prepare Kale:
- Select kale that is loose and not in plastic bags, if at all possible
- Wash each leaf thoroughly under cold water
- Discard unwanted leaves
- Remove stems
- Steam leaves for 5 minutes, reserving the liquid
- Place pieces in blender with some reserved liquid
- Purée away!
- At this point in preparation, it would be perfect to add the puréed kale to a stainless steel ice cube tray for freezing for later use.
Nutritional yeast is consistently one of the top suppliers for the major nutrients, especially B12 and trace elements. Sprinkling a bit of nutritional yeast, ½ teaspoon for your 6- to 8-month-old baby, gives his meal a super nutritious boost!